In October I was lucky enough to head down to Tasmania to spend 8 days on the overland track. Millie was gracious enough to give me the time (it was her suggestion) so that I could get away. I travelled down with 2 friends Matt Woodford from Sydney and Daniel Horsburgh from Musswellbrook.
A lot of planning goes into a long distance walk, especially if it involves flying to another state, but it is definately worth the effort.
It is very important to have good gear. Considering the amount of snow that we had I was very glad that I had bought a new jacket. It is only in the middle of a walk that you learn what makes good gear really good or bad gear really bad. Sometimes it is worth spending the money.
The walk began at Cradle mountain, which can be reached by bus from Launcestion via Devonport. We were unable to climb Cradle Mountain due to the amount of snow that had fallen. In fact many parties were told not to begin the walk due to the weather that was coming in. Others had begun, but turned back due to the depth of the snow. Having come so far we were not going to turn back without at least giving it a go. They were probably locals anyway who could afford to come back at another time.
No comments:
Post a Comment